The Pinebank Promontory is named after a house built for the Perkins family in 1806, and then rebuilt in 1848. For decades, the deteriorated condition of the building and the necessity of a security fence prevented the public from enjoying the promontory. When it became clear that the structure could not be saved, the Solomon Foundation helped sponsor a series of public workshops to discuss the future of the site.
Manyworkshop participants spoke of the need for a flexible gathering place for cultural events as well as a place of quiet retreat. Victor Walker, landscape architect, was hired by the City of Boston to develop a distinctive landscape design featuring an outline of the house in granite blocks. The three landmark trees received horticultural care and have emerged as a character-defining feature of the site. The site – located far back from the parkways – is used for enjoyment of the park and for public concerts.